Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, November 10, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 68. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Mostly clear, with a low around 49. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the 60s, with sunny skies, until the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 U.S. Marine Corps founded.
- 1782 In the last battle of the American Revolution, George Rogers Clark attacks Indians and Loyalists at Chillicothe, in Ohio Territory.
- 1879 Little Bighorn participant Major Marcus Reno is caught window-peeping at the daughter of his commanding officer—an offense for which he will be court martialed.
- 1911 President Taft ends a 15,000-mile, 57-day speaking tour.
- 1917 Forty-one US suffragettes are arrested protesting outside the White House.
- 1952 U.S. Supreme Court upholds the decision barring segregation on interstate railways.
- 1961 Andrew Hatcher is named associate press secretary to President John F. Kennedy.
- 1962 Eleanor Roosevelt is buried; she had died three days earlier.
- 1969 The PBS children’s program Sesame Street debuts.
- 1972 Hijackers divert a jet to Detroit, demanding $10 million and ten parachutes.
- 1975 The iron ore freighter Edmund Fitzgerald breaks in half and sinks at the eastern end of Lake Superior–all 29 crew members perish.
- 1986 President Ronald Reagan refuses to reveal details of the Iran arms sale.
- 1997 WorldCom and MCI Communications announce a merger, the largest in US history up to that time.
- 2008 NASA declares the Phoenix mission concluded after losing communications with the lander, five months after it began its exploration on the surface of Mars.