Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, November 11, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 68. East wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 48. Calm wind.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the 60s, with sunny skies, until the end of the week, when temperatures are expected to rise sharply.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1778 Indians, led by William Butler, massacre the inhabitants of Cherry Valley, N.Y.
- 1831 Nat Turner, a slave who led a revolt against slave owners, is hanged in Jerusalem, Virginia.
- 1885 Birth of George S. Patton, U.S. Army commander in World War II.
- 1889 Washington becomes the 42nd state of the Union.
- 1909 Construction begins on the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.
- 1921 The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery is dedicated.
- 1922 Canada’s Vernon McKenzie urges to fight U.S. propaganda with taxes on U.S. magazines.
- 1922 Birth of Kurt Vonnegut, American novelist (Slaughterhouse Five).
- 1933 The first of the great dust storms of the 1930s hits North Dakota.
- 1935 Albert Anderson and Orvil Anderson set a new altitude record in South Dakota, when they float to 74,000 feet in a balloon.
- 1938 Irving Berlin’s “God Bless America” is performed for the first time by singer Kate Smith.
- 1953 The polio virus is identified and photographed for the first time in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1966 The United States launches Gemini 12, a two-man orbiter, into orbit.
- 1970 U.S. Army Special Forces raid the Son Tay prison camp in North Vietnam but find no prisoners.
- 1987 An unidentified buyer buys Vincent Van Gogh’s painting “Irises” from the estate of Joan Whitney Payson for $53.9 million at Sotheby’s in New York.
- 1993 Sculpture honoring women who served in the Vietnam War dedicated at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC.