Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, November 12, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 48. Calm wind.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the 60s until the end of the week, when temperatures are expected to rise sharply and peak in the mid-80s on Monday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1815 Birth of Elizabeth Cady Stanton, political reformer and founder of the Women’s Rights Convention.
- 1863 Confederate General James Longstreet arrives at Loudon, Tennessee, to assist the attack on Union General Ambrose Burnside’s troops at Knoxville.
- 1928 The ocean liner Vestris sinks off the Virginia cape with 328 aboard, killing 111.
- 1938 Mexico agrees to compensate the United States for land seizures.
- 1941 Madame Lillian Evanti and Mary Cardwell Dawson establish the National Negro Opera Company.
- 1944 U.S. fighters wipe out a Japanese convoy near Leyte, consisting of six destroyers, four transports and 8,000 troops.
- 1951 The U.S. Eighth Army in Korea is ordered to cease offensive operations and begin an active defense.
- 1960 The satellite Discoverer XVII is launched into orbit from California’s Vandenberg AFB.
- 1968 The U.S. Supreme Court voids an Arkansas law banning the teaching of evolution in public schools.
- 1971 President Richard Nixon announces the withdrawal of about 45,000 U.S. troops from Vietnam by February.