Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, November 18, 2020:
Patchy fog before 1pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 52. Calm wind.
Highs are to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s through the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1861 The first provisional meeting of the Confederate Congress is held in Richmond, Virginia.
- 1865 Mark Twain’s first story “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” is published in the New York Saturday Press.
- 1870 Birth of Dorthea Dix, pseudonym for Elizabeth Gilman, who wrote syndicated advice.
- 1900 Birth of Dr. Howard Thurman, theologian and first African American to hold a full-time position at Boston University.
- 1901 Birth of George Horatio Gallup, American journalist and statistician.
- 1901 The second Hay-Pauncefote Treaty is signed. The United States is given extensive rights by Britain for building and operating a canal through Central America.
- 1921 New York City considers varying work hours to avoid long traffic jams.
- 1923 Birth of Alan Shepard, first American astronaut in space.
- 1928 Mickey Mouse makes his film debut in Steamboat Willie, the first animated talking picture.
- 1936 The main span of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is joined.
- 1949 The U.S. Air Force grounds B-29s after two crashes and 23 deaths in three days.
- 1978 Peoples Temple cult leader Jim Jones leads his followers to a mass murder-suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after cult member killed Congressman Leo J. Ryan of California.
- 2003 Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court rules the state’s ban on same-sex marriages is unconstitutional; the legislature fails to act within the mandated 180 days, and on May 17, 2004, Massachusetts becomes the first US state to legalize same-sex marriage.