Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, December 3, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 74. North wind around 5 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 47. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the 70s, with lows in the 40s and mostly sunny skies for the coming week.
High Wind Watch in effect from December 3, 01:00 AM PST until December 4, 12:00 PM PST
Red Flag Warning in effect from December 2, 06:00 PM PST until December 5, 10:00 PM PST
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1762 France cedes to Spain all lands west of the Mississippi–the territory known as Upper Louisiana.
- 1818 Illinois admitted into the Union as the 21st state.
- 1826 Birth of George B. McClellan, Union general who defeated Robert E. Lee at Antietam and ran against Abraham Lincoln for president.
- 1847 Frederick Douglass and Martin R. Delaney establish the North Star, and anti-slavery paper.
- 1862 Confederate raiders attack a Federal forage train on the Hardin Pike near Nashville, Tenn.
- 1863 Confederate General James Longstreet moves his army east and north toward Greeneville. This withdrawal marks the end of the Fall Campaign in Tennessee.
- 1864 Major General William Tecumseh Sherman meets with slight resistance from Confederate troops at Thomas Station on his march to the sea.
- 1906 The U.S. Supreme Court orders Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) leaders extradited to Idaho for trial in the Steunenberg murder case.
- 1915 The United States expels German attaches on spy charges.
- 1965 The National Council of Churches asks the United States to halt the massive bombings in North Vietnam.
- 1977 The State Department proposes the admission of 10,000 more Vietnamese refugees to the United States.
- 1979 Eleven are dead and eight injured in a mad rush to see a rock band (The Who) at a concert in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 1989 Presidents George Bush and Mikhail Gorbachev announce the official end to the Cold War at a meeting in Malta.
- 1992 A test engineer for Sema Group sends the world’s first text message, using a personal computer and the Vodafone network.
- 2005 First manned rocket aircraft delivery of US Mail takes place in Mojave, Cal.