Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, December 4, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 74. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 50. Calm wind.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the 70s, with lows in the 40s to low 50s and mostly sunny skies for the coming week.
Fire Weather Watch in effect from December 3, 12:00 AM PST until December 5, 10:00 PM PST
Red Flag Warning in effect until December 5, 10:00 PM PST
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1584 Birth of John Cotton, English-born Puritan clergyman (The Way of the Church of Christ in New England).
- 1861 The U.S. Senate, voting 36 to 0, expels Senator John C. Brekinridge of Kentucky because of his joining the Confederate Army.
- 1862 Winchester, Va., falls into Union hands, resulting in the capture of 145 Southern soldiers.
- 1863 Seven solid days of bombardment ends at Charleston, S.C. The Union fires some 1,307 rounds.
- 1872 The U.S. brigantine Marie Celeste is found adrift and deserted with its cargo intact, in the Atlantic Ocean between the Azores and Portugal.
- 1942 U.S. planes make the first raids on Naples, Italy.
- 1947 Tennessee William’s play A Streetcar Named Desire premieres on Broadway starring Marlon Brando and Jessica Tandy.
- 1950 The University of Tennessee defies court rulings by rejecting five Negro applicants.
- 1952 The Grumman XS2F-1 makes its first flight.
- 1981 President Ronald Reagan broadens the power of the CIA by allowing spying in the United States.
- 1985 Robert McFarland resigns as National Security Advisor. Admiral John Poindexter is named to succeed.
- 1991 The last American hostages held in Lebanon are released.
- 1992 Pres. George H. W. Bush orders 28,000 troops to Somalia during the Somali Civil War.