Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, December 12, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 65. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Highs are forecast to rise back into the 70s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1745 Birth of John Jay, first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court who negotiated treaties for the United States.
- 1753 George Washington, the adjutant of Virginia, delivers an ultimatum to the French forces at Fort Le Boeuf, south of Lake Erie, reiterating Britain’s claim to the entire Ohio River valley.
- 1770 The British soldiers responsible for the “Boston Massacre” are acquitted on murder charges.
- 1805 Birth of William Lloyd Garrison, American abolitionist who published The Liberator.
- 1862 The Union loses its first ship to a torpedo, USS Cairo, in the Yazoo River.
- 1863 Orders are given in Richmond, Virginia, that no more supplies from the Union should be received by Federal prisoners.
- 1912 Birth of Henry Jackson Jr, boxer using the name Henry Armstrong, the only fighter to hold 3 professional boxing titles simultaneously.
- 1915 Birth of Frank Sinatra, American pop singer and actor.
- 1967 The United States ends the airlift of 6,500 men in Vietnam.
- 1985 Arrow Air Flight 1285 crashes after takeoff at Gander, Newfoundland; among the 256 dead are 236 members of the US Army’s 101st Airborne Division.
- 1995 Willie Brown beats incumbent mayor Frank Jordon to become the first African-American mayor of San Francisco.
- 2000 The US Supreme Court announces its decision in Bush v. Gore, effectively ending legal changes to the results of that year’s Presidential election.