Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, December 13, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 47. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1814 General Andrew Jackson announces martial law in New Orleans, Louisiana, as British troops disembark at Lake Borne, 40 miles east of the city. The Battle of New Orleans
- 1818 Birth of Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of President Abraham Lincoln.
- 1862 The Battle of Fredericksburg ends with the bloody slaughter of onrushing Union troops at Marye’s Heights. Maine’s Colonel Chamberlain at Marye’s Heights.
- 1911 Birth of Kenneth Patchen, American poet and author (Before the Brave, Hurrah for Anything).
- 1951 After meeting with FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, President Harry S Truman vows to purge all disloyal government workers.
- 1968 President Lyndon B. Johnson and Mexico’s President Gustavo Diaz Ordaz meet on a bridge at El Paso, Texas, to officiate at ceremonies returning the long-disputed El Chamizal area to the Mexican side of the border.
- 1972 Astronaut Gene Cernan climbs into his lunar lander on the moon and prepares to lift off. He is the last man to set foot on the moon.
- 1985 France sues the United States over the discovery of an AIDS serum.