Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, December 14, 2020:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 45. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1799 George Washington dies on his Mount Vernon estate.
- 1819 Alabama is admitted as the 22nd state, making 11 slave states and 11 free states.
- 1863 Confederate General James Longstreet attacks Union troops at Bean’s Station, Tenn.
- 1896 Birth of James H. Doolittle, American Air Force general who commanded the first bombing mission over Japan.
- 1909 The Labor Conference in Pittsburgh ends with a “declaration of war” on U.S. Steel.
- 1918 Birth of James Thomas Aubrey Jr., TV and film executive; president of CBS television (1959–1965).
- 1922 Birth of Junior J. Spurrier, received Medal of Honor for his actions in capturing Achain, France.
- 1925 Birth of Sam Jones (“Sad Sam” “Toothpick” Jones), pro baseball player; first African-American pitcher to throw a no-hitter in integrated baseball game.
- 1960 A U.S. Boeing B-52 bomber sets a 10,000-mile non-stop record without refueling.
- 2012 At Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newtown, Conn., 20 children and six adults are shot to death by a 20-year-old gunman who then commits suicide.