Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, December 15, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 The Bill of Rights is ratified in Congress.
- 1862 Nathan Bedford Forrest crosses the Tennessee River at Clifton with 2,500 men to raid the communications around Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- 1862 In New Orleans, Louisiana, Union Major General Benjamin F. Butler turns his command over to Nathaniel Banks. The citizens of New Orleans hold farewell parties for Butler, “The Beast” – but only after he leaves.
- 1864 The battle at Nashville begins.
- 1890 As U.S. Army soldiers attempt to arrest Sitting Bull at his cabin in Standing Rock, South Dakota, shooting breaks out and Lt. Bullhead shoots the great Sioux leader.
- 1892 Birth of J. Paul Getty, American oilman and art collector1924 The Soviet Union warns the United States against repeated entry of ships into Soviet territorial waters.
- 1938 Washington sends its fourth note to Berlin demanding amnesty for Jews.
- 1965 The United States drops 12 tons of bombs on an industrial center near Haiphong Harbor, North Vietnam.
- 1967 President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the meat bill in the presence of Upton Sinclair, the author of the controversial book The Jungle.
- 1973 The American Psychiatric Association votes to remove homosexuality from its official list of psychiatric disorders.
- 1976 The oil tanker MV Argo Merchant causes one of the worst marine oil spills in history when it runs aground near Nantucket, Massachusetts.
- 1978 US President Jimmy Carter announces the United States will recognize the People’s Republic of China and will sever all relations with Taiwan.
- 2005 F-22 Raptor stealth fighter enters active service with the US Air Force.