Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, December 16, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 49. Calm wind.
Highs are forecast to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1773 To protest the tax on tea from England, a group of young Americans, disguised as Indians, throw chests of tea from British ships in Boston Harbor.
- 1835 A fire in New York City destroys property estimated to be worth $20,000,000. It lasts two days, ravages 17 blocks, and destroys 674 buildings including the Stock Exchange, Merchants’ Exchange, Post Office, and the South Dutch Church.
- 1863 Confederate General Joseph Johnston takes command of the Army of Tennessee.
- 1864 Union forces under General George H. Thomas win the battle at Nashville, smashing an entire Confederate army.
- 1950 President Harry Truman declares a state of National Emergency as Chinese communists invade deeper into South Korea.
- 1976 President Jimmy Carter appoints Andrew Young as Ambassador to the United Nations.
- 1978 Cleveland becomes the first U.S. city to default since the depression.
- 1998 The United States launches a missile attack on Iraq for failing to comply with United Nations weapons inspectors.
- 2003 President George W. Bush signs the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003, which establishes the United States’ first national standards regarding email and gives the Federal Trade Commission authority to enforce the act.