I hope you and your families are well. Here is the latest update…
1) Return to Play Guidelines – On Monday, December 14, the California Department of Public Health released guidelines related to Outdoor and Indoor Youth and Recreational Adult Sports. This information has been anticipated for months, and for the CIF and our 10 Sections, a response to the plan developed by our CIF Sports Medicine Advisory Committee that we submitted to the CDPH in October. While we all process what this means in the time ahead, the CIF has prepared the following information directly related to high school sports to help clarify this situation and that information is included with this update…
- CIF COVID-19 Cover Letter – A summary of several elements contained in the CDPH Guidelines: No athletic competition permitted in California until Monday January 25, 2021, practice within stable team cohorts, limitations on travel between counties, etc.
- CIF Sports COVID-19 Tiers – A document related to the four-color tiered system in place for each county in California that includes the current status of each county in our state and the current status of each sport related to that county. (This document will be updated on a weekly basis by the CIF State Office.)
- CIF All Sports Guidelines – Specific health and safety protocols created for each sport.
It is important to note that what was recommended by our CIF Sports Medicine Advisory Committee is not what we see here. We requested that all sports be conducted in the Red Tier and were hopeful that we would be allowed to proceed accordingly. While that is not the case today, I want to assure you that the dialogue will continue between the CIF and the California Department of Public Health to try and advocate for the return of education-based athletics as soon as that can happen in a healthy and safe way.
2) Key Dates – As we move forward, here are some important dates to remember…
- Monday, January 4 – The California Department of Public Health will reassess the January 25, 2021 return to competition date and evaluate the situation at that time.
- Tuesday, January 19 – I will provide an update on the plans for CIF Southern Section Fall Sports Championships.
3) Final Thought – There is no doubt that we have significant challenges ahead of us. We must try and overcome those challenges with every effort we can make in support of our student athletes. It is too important to them for us to not do everything we can do on their behalf to keep their dreams alive. Now is not the time to lose hope and I know I can count on you to continue to fight for what we all believe in.
I hope this information is useful to you in the time ahead and if you have any questions, or I can help you in any way at all, do not hesitate to contact me. My staff and I are ready, willing and able to assist you in any way we possibly can.
Thank you very much for your help and support, it is truly appreciated.
Be well, stay safe, take care and all the best to you and your families.
This article was written by Rob Wigod, CIF Southern Section Commissioner.