Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, December 17, 2020:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 65. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Highs are forecast to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1807 Birth of John Greenleaf Whittier, American poet, abolitionist, reformer and founder of the Liberal Party.
- 1886 At a Christmas party, Sam Starr (husband to infamous outlaw queen Belle Starr) shoots his old enemy Frank West, but is fatally wounded himself.
- 1903 Near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, Orville and Wilbur Wright make the first successful flight in history of a self-propelled, heavier-than-air aircraft.
- 1908 Birth of Willard Frank Libby, American chemist who won a Nobel Prize for his part in creating the carbon-14 method in dating ancient findings.
- 1944 U.S. approves end to internment of Japanese Americans. U.S. Major General Henry C. Pratt issues Public Proclamation No. 21, declaring that Japanese American “evacuees” from the West Coast could return to their homes effective January 2, 1945.
- 1944 The German Army renews the attack on the Belgian town of Losheimergraben against the defending Americans during the Battle of the Bulge.
- 1948 The Smithsonian Institution accepts the Kitty Hawk – the Wright brothers’ plane.
- 1989 The Simpsons, television’s longest-running animated series, makes its US debut.