Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, December 18, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 71. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 Nathan Bedford Forrest engages and defeats a Federal cavalry force near Lexington in his continued effort to disrupt supply lines.
- 1862 Union General Ulysses S. Grant announces the organization of his army in the West. Sherman, Hurlbut, McPherson, and McClernand are to be corps commanders.
- 1865 Slavery is abolished in the United States. The 13th Amendment is formally adopted into the U.S. Constitution, ensuring that “neither slavery nor involuntary servitude… shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.”
- 1886 Birth of Ty (Tyrus Raymond) Cobb, American baseball player, first man to be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1941 Defended by 610 fighting men, the American-held island of Guam falls to more than 5,000 Japanese invaders in a three-hour battle.
- 1965 U.S. Marines attack VC units in the Que Son Valley during Operation Harvest Moon.
- 1970 An atomic leak in Nevada forces hundreds of citizens to flee the test site.
- 1972 President Richard M. Nixon declares that the bombing of North Vietnam will continue until an accord can be reached (Operation Linebacker II).
- 2002 California Gov. Gray Davis announces the state faces a record budget deficit; the looming $35 billion shortfall is almost double the amount reported a month earlier during the state’s gubernatorial campaign.