Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, December 19, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 74. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Highs are forecast to peak on Sunday in the mid-upper 70s before gradually dropping again.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 Confederate General Nathan B. Forrest begins tearing up the railroads in Union generals Grant and Rosecrans rear, causing considerable delays in the movement of Union supplies.
- 1909 American socialist women denounce suffrage as a movement of the middle class.
- 1944 During the Battle of the Bulge, American troops begin pulling back from the twin Belgian cities of Krinkelt and Rocherath in front of the advancing German Army.
- 1945 Congress confirms Eleanor Roosevelt as U.S. delegate to the United Nations.
- 1950 The North Atlantic Council names General Dwight D. Eisenhower as supreme commander of Western European defense forces.
- 1959 Reputed to be the last civil war veteran, Walter Williams, dies at 117 in Houston.
- 1974 Nelson Rockefeller is sworn in as vice president of the United states after a House of Representatives vote.
- 1998 President Bill Clinton is impeached. The House of Representatives approved two articles of impeachment against President Clinton, charging him with lying under oath to a federal grand jury and obstructing justice. Clinton was the second president in American history to be impeached.