Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, December 22, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 45. Calm wind.
Highs are forecast to gradually drop to seasonable levels by Tuesday, with partly to mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 Esek Hopkins takes command of the Continental Navy — a total of seven ships.
- 1807 Congress passes the Embargo Act, which halts all trading completely. It is hoped that the act will keep the United States out of the European Wars.
- 1829 The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad opens the first passenger railway line.
- 1856 Birth of Frank Kellogg, U.S. Secretary of State who tried to outlaw war with the Kellogg-Briand Pact.
- 1883 Birth of Arthur Wergs Mitchell, first African-American to be elected to the U.S. House of Representatives.
- 1912 Birth of Claudia “Lady Bird” Johnson, wife of US President Lyndon Baines Johnson.
- 1921 Birth of Hawkshaw Hawkins (Harold Hawkins), country singer; he died along with country stars Patsy Cline and Cowboy Copas when the small plane that was carrying them crashed in 1963.
- 1944 During the Battle of the Bulge, General Anthony McAuliffe responds to a German surrender request with a one word answer: “Nuts!”
- 1965 The EF-105F Wild Weasel makes its first kill over Vietnam.
- 1966 The United States announces the allocation of 900,000 tons of grain to fight the famine in India.
- 2001 A passenger on American Airlines Flight 63 from Paris, Richard Reid, unsuccessfully attempts to destroy the plane in flight by igniting explosives he’d hidden in his shoes.
- 2008 Some 1.1 billion gallons of coal fly ash slurry flood part of Tennessee after an ash dike breaks at a solid waste containment area in Roane County, in the eastern part of the state.
- 2010 US President Barack Obama signs a law officially repealing the 17-year-old policy known as “Don’t ask, don’t tell”; the new law permits homosexuals to serve openly in the US military.