Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, December 24, 2020:
Cloudy, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 47. Northeast wind around 5 mph.
Highs are forecast to gradually drop, with a chance of rain early in the new week.
Red Flag Warning in effect from December 23, 08:00 AM PST until December 24, 12:00 PM PST
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1745 Birth of Benjamin Rush, American medical pioneer and signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1809 Birth of Christopher Kit Carson, one of the most famous mountain men and scouts in the West.
- 1812 Joel Barlow, aged 58, American poet and lawyer, dies from exposure near Vilna, Poland, during Napoleon’s retreat from Moscow. Barlow was on a diplomatic mission to the emperor for President Madison.
- 1814 A treaty of peace between the United States and Great Britain, ending the War of 1812, is signed at Ghent, Belgium. The news does not reach the United States until two weeks later (after the decisive American victory at New Orleans).
- 1861 The USS Gem of the Sea destroys the British blockade runner Prince of Wales off the coast at Georgetown, S.C.
- 1862 A Christmas present arrives a day early for the Federal troops at Columbus, Kentucky, in the way of artillery on board the USS New Era.
- 1905 Birth of Howard Hughes, American industrialist, aviator, film producer, and director.
- 1922 Birth of Ava Gardner, film actress (The Barefoot Contessa, The Sun Also Rises).
- 1943 General Dwight D. Eisenhower is appointed the Allied Supreme Commander, even though almost everyone believed the position would go to American Chief of Staff George C. Marshall.
- 1956 African Americans defy a city law in Tallahassee, Florida, and occupy front bus seats.
- 1963 New York’s Idlewild Airport is renamed JFK Airport in honor of the murdered President Kennedy.
- 1964 The U.S. headquarters in Saigon is hit by a bomb killing two officers.
- 1968 The first pictures of an Earth-rise over the moon are seen as the crew of Apollo 8 orbits the moon.
- 1970 Nine GIs are killed and nine are wounded by friendly fire in Vietnam.
- 1972 Hanoi bars all peace talks with the United States until U.S. air raids over North Vietnam stop.