Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, December 31, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 64. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 43. Calm wind.
Mostly sunny skies and highs remaining in the 60s are forecast until the new week, when there will be a slight chance of showers.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 George Washington orders recruiting officers to accept free blacks into the army.
- 1815 Birth of George Gordon Meade, Union general who defeated Robert E. Lee at the Battle of Gettysburg.
- 1852 The richest year of the gold rush ends with $81.3 million in gold produced.
- 1862 Union General William Rosecrans’ army repels two Confederate attacks at the Battle of Murfreesboro (Stone’s River).
- 1889 Birth of George Catlett Marshall, Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army during World War II, Secretary of State under Truman, won Nobel Peace Prize for the Marshall Plan.
- 1908 Birth of Simon Wiesenthal, survivor of the Nazi Holocaust who dedicated his life to tracking down former Nazis.
- 1910 John B. Moisant and Arch Hoxsey, two of America’s foremost aviators, die in separate plane crashes.
- 1941 General MacArthur reports that U.S. lines in Manila have been pushed back by the Japanese.
- 1942 After five months of battle, Emperor Hirohito allows the Japanese commanders at Guadalcanal to retreat.
- 1965 California becomes the largest state in population.