Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, January 4, 2021:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then clearing, with a high near 64. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. Calm wind.
Mostly sunny skies and highs remaining in the 60s to low 70s are expected for the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1863 Union General Henry Halleck, by direction of President Abraham Lincoln, orders General Ulysses Grant to revoke his infamous General Order No. 11 that expelled Jews from his operational area in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Mississippi.
- 1896 Utah becomes the 45th state of the Union.
- 1902 France offers to sell their Nicaraguan Canal rights to the United States.
- 1904 The U.S. Supreme Court decides in the Gonzales v. Williams case that Puerto Ricans are not aliens and can enter the United States freely, yet stops short of awarding citizenship.
- 1914 Birth of Jane Wyman, American film actress, received Academy Award for Johnny Belinda; she was the first wife of future US President Ronald Reagan.
- 1920 The Negro National League, the first black baseball league, is organized by Rube Foster.
- 1935 President Franklin D. Roosevelt claims in his State of the Union message that the federal government will provide jobs for 3.5 million Americans on welfare.
- 1936 Billboard magazine publishes its first music Hit Parade.
- 1974 President Richard Nixon refuses to hand over tape recordings and documents that had been subpoenaed by the Senate Watergate Committee.
- 1979 Ohio officials approve an out-of-court settlement awarding $675,000 to the victims and families in the 1970 shootings at Kent State University, in which four students were killed and nine wounded by National Guard troops.
- 1999 Jesse “The Body” Ventura, a former professional wrestler, is sworn in as populist governor of Minnesota.
- 2004 NASA Mars rover Spirit successfully lands on Mars.
- 2007 Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-California) becomes the first female speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives.