Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 13, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 77. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 49. Calm wind.
High temperatures are expected to rise into the upper 70s to low 80s over the course of the week, peaking on Friday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1808 Birth of Salmon P. Chase, U.S. Treasury Secretary, sixth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
- 1832 Birth of Horatio Alger, Jr., American children’s author (Ragged Dick, Tattered Tom).
- 1846 President James Polk dispatches General Zachary Taylor and 4,000 troops to the Texas Border as war with Mexico looms.
- 1862 President Lincoln names Edwin M. Stanton Secretary of War.
- 1919 California votes to ratify the Prohibition amendment.
- 1927 A woman takes a seat on the NY Stock Exchange breaking the all-male tradition.
- 1931 The bridge connecting New York and New Jersey is named the George Washington Memorial Bridge.
- 1937 The United States bars Americans from serving in the Civil War in Spain.
- 1944 Plants are destroyed and 64 U.S. aircraft are lost in an air attack in Germany.
- 1955 Chase National and the Bank of Manhattan agree to merge resulting in the second largest U.S. bank.
- 1965 Two U.S. planes are shot down in Laos while on a combat mission.
- 1968 U.S. reports shifting most air targets from North Vietnam to Laos.
- 1980 The United States offers Pakistan a two-year aid plan to counter the Soviet threat in Afghanistan.
- 1982 Air Florida Flight 90 Boeing 737 jet crashes into Washington, D.C.’s 14th Street Bridge shortly after takeoff, then plunges into the Potomac River; 78 people, including 4 motorists, are killed.
- 1990 In Virginia, Douglas Wilder, the first African American elected governor of a US state, takes office.