Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, January 18, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 76. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
High temperatures are forecast to drop sharply by Friday as a weather system moves through the region.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1778 Captain James Cook discovers the Hawaiian Islands, naming them the ‘Sandwich Islands’ after the First Lord of the Admiralty, Lord Sandwich.
- 1782 Birth of Daniel Webster, congressman from New Hampshire, Massachusetts senator, and secretary of state before the Civil War.
- 1836 Jim Bowie arrives at the Alamo to assist its Texas defenders.
- 1858 Birth of Daniel Hale Williams, physician who performed the first open heart surgery, founder of Chicago’s Provident Hospital.
- 1862 John Tyler, former president of the U.S., is buried at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond.
- 1892 Birth of Oliver Hardy, film comedian, one half of Laurel and Hardy.
- 1902 The Isthmus Canal Commission in Washington shifts its support from Nicaragua to Panama as a favored canal site.
- 1904 Birth of Cary Grant, U.S. film actor (Gunga Din, Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, North by Northwest).
- 1910 Aviator Eugene Ely performs his first successful take off and landing from a ship in San Francisco.
- 1942 General MacArthur repels the Japanese in Bataan. The United States takes the lead in the Far East war criminal trials.
- 1962 The United States begins spraying foliage with herbicides in South Vietnam, in order to reveal the whereabouts of Vietcong guerrillas.
- 1964 Plans are disclosed for the World Trade Center in New York.
- 1978 The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) isolate the cause of Legionnaire’s disease.