CIF Southern Section Fall Sports Championships
Cancelled Today, I must regretfully announce that we are cancelling our 2020-2021 CIF Southern Section Fall Sports Championships due to the COVID pandemic. We do so for the following reasons…
1) There has not been enough progress made from the purple tier toward the orange tier for Football, Girls Volleyball and Boys/Girls Water Polo to even begin competition this season. Subsequently, there will not be sufficient time for those sports to conduct viable league play, which is necessary for us to be able to conduct Section Championships in those sports. As for Boys/Girls Cross-Country, which is currently in the purple tier and can begin competing next week, provided the stay at home order is lifted in Southern California, the ability for us to host a Southern Section Championship in one location and have student-athletes from all 7 counties within the Southern Section footprint be allowed to travel to that single location is not realistic.
2) The time remaining in the Fall Sports seasons can now be utilized by our member schools to schedule contests. Therefore, with no CIF Southern Section Championship or CIF State Regional or State Championships taking place, the sports listed below, provided they are able to begin competition at some point in the time ahead, will have the following end dates for their seasons…
- Boys/Girls Cross-Country – Saturday, March 27, 2021
- 8-Man Football – Saturday, April 3, 2021
- 11-Man Football – Saturday, April 17, 2021
- Girls Volleyball – Saturday, March 20, 2021
- Boys/Girls Water Polo – Saturday, March 20, 2021
We are not cancelling the entire seasons for our Fall Sports, we are cancelling the portion of the Fall Sports seasons that we have direct control over, Southern Section Championships. Hopefully, the additional weeks now available during the Fall Sports season will be useful to our schools in the effort to have regular season and /or league competition in the time ahead. We strongly support our member schools in returning to play, provided the guidelines distributed by the California Department of Public Health, and local health authorities are adhered to. We will continue to do all we can to advocate our position to those entities as well.
Spring Sports Status
Spring Sports remain in place with the original schedule we released in July, 2020. Several of our Spring Sports are in the purple tier, which means they can begin as planned, again, provided there is not a stay at home order currently in effect in Southern California.
Also, if progress can be made moving forward, we are hopeful that other sports will be able to join those in the purple tier when they reach the appropriate tier for those sports. Similar to the way the Fall Sports situation played out, we would do the same thing for Spring Sports.
At some point, probably in early or mid-April, we would determine if we are able to conduct Southern Section Championships in our Spring Sports and would make the appropriate announcement regarding the status of those championships at that time.
These are extremely difficult times for everyone involved. This may be the darkest period we have experienced throughout the 10 months of the COVID-19 pandemic. As we look ahead, the holidays are now behind us, although the surge from that time frame is still being felt and is hopefully close to ending.
Vaccines are arriving and inoculations are happening every day. Perhaps we will see case rates, hospitalizations and deaths begin to decrease and relief will come to our health care system. With those developments, the conversations with the Governor’s Office, the California Department of Public Health and local health authorities regarding return to play can take on a different tone and real progress could potentially be made. I know you join me in the belief that we must go forward doing everything possible on behalf of our student-athletes.
I hope this information is useful to you in the time ahead and if you have any questions, or me or my staff can help you in any way at all, do not hesitate to contact us. We are ready, willing and able to assist you in any way we possibly can.
Thank you very much for your help and support, it is truly appreciated.
This article was released by Rob Wigod, Commissioner of Athletics for CIF Southern Section.