Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 20, 2021:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. East wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to drop sharply by Friday as a weather system moves through the region.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1616 The French explorer Samuel de Champlain arrives to winter in a Huron Indian village after being wounded in a battle with Iroquois in New France.
- 1732 Birth of Richard Henry Lee, American Revolutionary patriot and signatory of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1783 Britain signs a peace agreement with France and Spain, who allied against it in the American War of Independence.
- 1893 Birth of Bessy Colman, first African American aviator.
- 1896 Birth of George Burns, comedian and actor in vaudeville, radio, television and film.
- 1908 The Sullivan Ordinance bars women from smoking in public facilities in the United States.
- 1930 Charles Lindbergh arrives in New York, setting a cross country flying record of 14.75 hours.
- 1930 Birth of Dr. Edwin ‘Buzz’ Aldrin, second man to walk on the moon.
- 1945 Franklin D. Roosevelt is inaugurated for his fourth term.
- 1977 President Jimmy Carter is sworn in and then surprises the nation as he walks from the U.S. Capitol to the White House.
- 1981 Ronald Reagan is sworn in as president at the same time 52 American hostages are released from their captors in Tehran, Iran.