Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, January 26, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 58. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
A slight chance of showers after 4am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 44. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 10%.
A chance of showers will be possible through the end of the week as weather systems moves through the region.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1826 Birth of Julia Dent Grant, wife of Ulysses S. Grant.
- 1861 Louisiana secedes from the Union.
- 1863 President Lincoln names General Joseph Hooker to replace Burnside as commander of the Army of the Potomac.
- 1875 Pinkerton agents, hunting Jesse James, kill his 18-year-old half-brother and seriously injure his mother with a bomb.
- 1880 Birth of Douglas MacArthur, U.S. general in World War I, World War II and Korea.
- 1893 Birth of Bessie Coleman, pioneer aviator.
- 1942 American Expeditionary Force lands in Northern Ireland.
- 1943 The first OSS (Office of Strategic Services) agent parachutes behind Japanese lines in Burma.
- 1964 Eighty-four people are arrested in a segregation protest in Atlanta.
- 1969 California is declared a disaster area after two days of flooding and mud slides.
- 2005 Condoleezza Rice is appointed to the post of secretary of state. The post makes her the highest ranking African-American woman ever to serve in a U.S. presidential cabinet.