Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, February 4, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Calm wind.
Temperatures are expected to rise slightly over the weekend, with mostly sunny skies, before returning to seasonable levels.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1787 Shay’s Rebellion, an uprising of debt-ridden Massachusetts farmers against the new U.S. government, fails.
- 1889 Harry Longabaugh is released from Sundance Prison in Wyoming, thereby acquiring the famous nickname, “the Sundance Kid.”
- 1899 After an exchange of gunfire, fighting breaks out between American troops and Filipinos near Manila, sparking the Philippine-American War
- 1902 Birth of Charles Lindbergh, the first man to fly solo across the Atlantic.
- 1906 The New York Police Department begins finger print identification.
- 1909 California law segregates Caucasian and Japanese schoolchildren.
- 1913 Birth of Rosa Lee Parks, civil rights activist.
- 1932 Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt inaugurates the Winter Olympics at Lake Placid, N.Y.
- 1941 The United Service Organization (U.S.O.) is formed to cater to armed forces and defense industries.
- 1945 The Big Three, American, British and Soviet leaders, meet in Yalta to discuss the war aims.
- 1974 Newspaper heiress Patty Hearst is kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army, beginning one of the most bizarre cases in FBI history.
- 1986 The U.S. Post Office issues a commemorative stamp featuring Sojourner Truth.