Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, February 8, 2021:
Patchy fog before 10am, then patchy fog after 4pm. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 66. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog before 10pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Southeast wind around 5 mph.
Temperatures are expected to return to seasonable levels in the 60s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1820 Birth of William T. Sherman, Union general in the American Civil War.
- 1861 Delegates from seceded states adopt a provisional Confederate Constitution.
- 1862 Union troops under Gen. Ambrose Burnside defeat a Confederate defense force at the Battle of Roanoke Island, N.C.
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill and men attack a group of Federal wagons at New Market, Kentucky.
- 1887 Congress passes the Dawes Act, which gives citizenship to Indians living apart from their tribe.
- 1910 The Boy Scouts of America is incorporated.
- 1924 The gas chamber is used for the first time to execute a murderer.
- 1931 Birth of James Dean, film actor and 1950s teenage icon (Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, Giant).
- 1990 CBS television temporarily suspends Andy Rooney for his anti-gay and ant-black remarks in a magazine interview.