Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, February 15, 2021:
Partly sunny, with a high near 66. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Temperatures are forecast to hover in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1726 Birth of Abraham Clark, signer of Declaration of Independence.
- 1798 The first serious fist fight occurs in Congress.
- 1804 New Jersey becomes the last northern state to abolish slavery.
- 1820 Birth of Susan B. Anthony, suffragette and political activist.
- 1862 Union General Ulysses S. Grant launches a major assault on Fort Donelson, Tenn.
- 1869 Charges of treason against Jefferson Davis are dropped.
- 1882 Birth of John Barrymore, actor
- 1898 The U.S. battleship Maine blows up in Havana Harbor, killing 268 sailors and bringing hordes of Western cowboys and gunfighters rushing to enlist in the Spanish-American War.
- 1934 U.S. Congress passes the Civil Works Emergency Relief Act, allotting new funds for Federal Emergency Relief Administration.
- 1943 The Germans break the American Army’s lines at the Fanid-Sened Sector in Tunisia, North Africa.
- 1944 American bombers attack the Abbey of Monte Cassino in an effort to neutralize it as a German observation post in central Italy.
- 1961 Eighteen members of the U.S. figure skating team are lost in an airplane crash in Belgium.
- 1967 Thirteen U.S. helicopters are shot down in one day in Vietnam
- 1974 U.S. gas stations threaten to close because of federal fuel policies.