More than 50 English and Spanish speaking California State University, Long Beach accounting students, who are Internal Revenue Service certified, are providing free tax preparation assistance to families who make $57,000 or less, disabled people, the elderly, students, non-residents and individuals with limited English proficiency.
The free service is part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance clinic (VITA), which is an IRS-sponsored program.
Last year, student-volunteers filed state and federal tax returns that combined totaled more than $1 million in refunds.
Participants have the following original documents:
- Government issued photo ID or driver’s license.
- Original Social Security card or documents of individual taxpayer identification number.
- All W-2’s and 1099’s (if any)
- Other income and expense information
- Students or parents of students bring total tuition fees and expenses paid (form 1098-T)
- Parents bring total expenses paid for child’s daycare if any.
- Daycare or dependent care provider’s address, phone and SSN or EIN.
- Bank account and routing number (voided check) for direct deposit of refund.
- Last year’s tax return is helpful, but not required.
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Kickoff event is Saturday, Feb. 20, 2020 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Regular Schedule is Mon-Thurs: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Click the following link to Make Virtual Appointment: https://www.csulbbap.com/vita
This article was released by Cal State Long Beach.