Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, February 17, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 69. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 48. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph after midnight.
Temperatures are expected to rise into the upper 70s, peaking early in the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1774 Birth of Raphaelle Peale, U.S. painter
- 1801 The House of Representatives breaks an electoral college tie and chooses Thomas Jefferson over Aaron Burr.
- 1864 The Confederate submarine Hunley sinks the USS Housatonic in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.
- 1865 The South Carolina capital city, Columbia, is destroyed by fire as Major General William Tecumseh Sherman marches through.
- 1874 Birth of Thomas J. Watson Sr., U.S. industrialist.
- 1908 Birth of Walter Lanier “Red” Barber, baseball announcer for the Cincinnati Reds, the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees.
- 1909 Apache chief Geronimo dies of pneumonia at age 80, while still in captivity at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
- 1925 The first issue of Harold Ross’ magazine, The New Yorker, hits the stands, selling for 15 cents a copy.
- 1935 Thirty-one prisoners escape an Oklahoma prison after murdering a guard.
- 1944 U.S forces land on Eniwetok atoll in the South Pacific.
- 1945 Gen. MacArthur’s troops land on Corregidor in the Philippines.
- 1951 Packard introduces its “250” Chassis Convertible.
- 1960 Martin Luther King Jr. is arrested in the Alabama bus boycott.
- 1973 President Richard Nixon names Patrick Gray director of the FBI.