Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, February 28, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 72. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Temperatures are forecast to remain in the upper 60s to lower 70s for the next week, with a slight chance of rain Tuesday night through Wednesday.
High Wind Warning in effect from February 27, 08:00 PM PST until February 28, 03:00 PM PST
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1610 Thomas West is appointed governor of Virginia.
- 1704 Indians attack Deerfield, Mass. killing 40 and kidnapping 100.
- 1847 Colonel Alexander Doniphan and his ragtag Missouri Mounted Volunteers ride to victory at the Battle of Sacramento, during the Mexican War.
- 1861 The territory of Colorado is established.
- 1863 Four Union gunboats destroy the CSS Nashville near Fort McAllister, Georgia.
- 1901 Birth of Linus Pauling, Nobel Prize-winning American chemist.
- 1916 Haiti becomes the first U.S. protectorate.
- 1924 U.S. troops are sent to Honduras to protect American interests during an election conflict.
- 1945 U.S. tanks break the natural defense line west of the Rhine and cross the Erft River.
- 1946 The U.S. Army declares that it will use V-2 rocket to test radar as an atomic rocket defense system.
- 1967 In Mississippi, 19 are indicted in the slayings of three civil rights workers.
- 1969 A Los Angeles court refuses Robert Kennedy assassin Sirhan Sirhan’s request to be executed.
- 1994 U.S. warplanes shoot down four Serb aircraft over Bosnia in the first NATO use of force in the troubled area.