Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, March 5, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 75. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Highs are expected to remain at seasonable levels in the 60s. A slight chance of showers will start Monday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1624 Class-based legislation is passed in the colony of Virginia, exempting the upper class from punishment by whipping.
- 1766 Antonio de Ulloa, the first Spanish governor of Louisiana, arrives in New Orleans.
- 1821 James Monroe becomes the first president to be inaugurated on March 5, only because the 4th was a Sunday.
- 1824 Birth of Elisha Harris, U.S. physician and founder of the American Public Health Association.
- 1908 Birth of Rex Harrison, actor.
- 1933 Newly inaugurated President Franklin D. Roosevelt halts the trading of gold and declares a bank holiday.
- 1946 In Fulton, Missouri, Winston Churchill tells a crowd that “an iron curtain has descended on the Continent [of Europe].”
- 1956 The U.S. Supreme Court affirms the ban on segregation in public schools in Brown vs. Board of Education.
- 1984 The U.S. Supreme Court rules that cities have the right to display the Nativity scene as part of their Christmas display.