Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, March 29, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 76. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 52. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Temperatures are expected to be warm to hot for the next week, peaking in the upper 80s on Thursday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1638 A permanent European colony is established in present-day Delaware.
- 1790 Birth of John Tyler, 10th President of the United States (1841-1845).
- 1835 Birth of Elihu Thomson, the English-born American inventor of electric welding and arc lighting.
- 1847 U.S. troops under General Winfield Scott take possession of the Mexican stronghold at Vera Cruz.
- 1867 The United States purchases Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million dollars.
- 1867 Birth of Cy Young, major league baseball pitcher with the most wins (509 or 511 total).
- 1875 Birth of Lou Henry Hoover, first lady President Herbert Hoover.
- 1886 Coca-Cola goes on sale for the first time at a drugstore in Atlanta. Its inventor, Dr. John Pemberton, claims it can cure anything from hysteria to the common cold.
- 1888 Birth of James E. Casey, founder of the United Parcel Service
- 1903 A regular news service begins between New York and London on Marconi’s wireless.
- 1916 Birth of Eugene McCarthy, U.S. senator and presidential candidate.
- 1951 The Chinese reject Gen. Douglas MacArthur’s offer for a truce in Korea.
- 1951 Rodgers and Hammerstein’s musical The King and I opens on Broadway starring Gertrude Lawrence and Yul Brynner.
- 1952 President Harry Truman removes himself from the presidential race.
- 1961 The 23rd amendment, allowing residents of Washington, D.C. to vote for president, is ratified.
- 1971 Lt. William L. Calley Jr. is found guilty for his actions in the My Lai massacre.
- 1973 The last U.S. troops withdraw from South Vietnam.