Statistics indicate that 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men in the U.S. have been the victim of rape (or attempted rape) in their lifetime. 63,000 children are the victims of sexual abuse each year, yet only 5 out of every 1,000 perpetrators will end up behind bars. Reports further indicate that the majority of sexual assaults (55%) happen at or near the victim’s home, often by someone they know and trust.
In response to the enormous need for sexual violence awareness and prevention education, WomenShelter of Long Beach is collaborating with our community partners on a number of events to honor survivors, raise awareness, and educate the community on how to prevent sexual assault. Sexual assault is a horrific problem, but prevention is possible with ongoing awareness programs, events, and trainings. We encourage community members to show support for survivors during the month of April, and every month to follow. SAAM offers a unique opportunity to learn about and discuss this difficult and important topic throughout the month of April, and will culminate with a day to show support for survivors on Denim Day, April 28.
WomenShelter of Long Beach SAAM events:
- April 12, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. — WSLB and CSULB H.E.A.R.T. at the Beach Student Organization for an educational presentation on “Rape Culture & Media Representations”
- April 13, 3 to 4:30 p.m. — Join WSLB and YWCA of Greater Los Angeles for their collaborative educational presentation “When Home Hurts: Understanding Where Intimate Partner Violence & Sexual Abuse Intersect”
- April 22, all day — Tie One to End Abuse Day. Wear a tie and post it on social media to encourage awareness and participation in recognizing the importance for all to stand up for every child’s right to live safe from abuse and neglect.
- April 28, all day — Denim Day is a campaign that annually brings awareness to the injustice acts of sexual assault and honors the victims and survivors. We encourage you to wear denim and post a selfie on social media! Be on the lookout for WSLB’s social media post on our staff in jean attire. Be sure to use the hashtag #DenimDay2021!
- April 29, 5 to 6 p.m. — Join WSLB and zine maker Donald Collins for a Zine Making Workshop titled “There’s A Zine For That!: An Intro to Zine-Making & Its Healing Potential.”
To register for these events, please visit: www.wslb.org/SAAM21. If you have questions regarding our events or if you are interested in learning more about how to support WSLB’s prevention education programs, please email Angela Kim, Outreach and Education Coordinator, at [email protected].
The mission of WSLB is to eliminate domestic violence through compassionate intervention, education and personal empowerment. Since 1977, WomenShelter of Long Beach has helped thousands of families overcome the trauma caused by domestic abuse. WSLB is a federally recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization – Federal Tax ID #95-1644058.