Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, April 14, 2021:
Partly sunny, with a high near 63. South wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Highs are forecast to rise sharply at the end of the week, reaching the mid-80s by Sunday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1543 Bartolome Ferrelo returns to Spain after discovering a large bay in the New World (San Francisco).
- 1775 The first abolitionist society in United States is organized in Philadelphia.
- 1828 The first edition of Noah Webster’s dictionary is published.
- 1860 The first Pony Express rider arrives in San Francisco with mail originating in St. Joseph, Missouri.
- 1865 President Abraham Lincoln is assassinated in Ford’s Theater by John Wilkes Booth.
- 1866 Birth of Anne Mansfield Sullivan, teacher who educated Helen Keller.
- 1894 Thomas Edison’s kinetoscope is shown to the public for the first time.
- 1898 Birth of Harold Black, electrical engineer.
- 1912 The passenger liner Titanic–deemed unsinkable–strikes an iceberg on her maiden voyage and begins to sink. The ship will go under the next day with a loss of 1,500 lives.
- 1945 American B-29 bombers damage the Imperial Palace during firebombing raid over Tokyo.
- 1959 The Taft Memorial Bell Tower is dedicated in Washington, D.C.
- 1981 America’s first space shuttle, Columbia, returns to Earth.