Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, April 24, 2021:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 68. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Mostly clear, with a low around 53. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Highs are to remain at or below seasonable levels, with a chance of precipitation early in the next week, followed by a sharp climb in highs temperatures.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1800 The Library of Congress is established in Washington, D.C. with a $5,000 allocation.
- 1805 U.S. Marines attack and capture the town of Derna in Tripoli from the Barbary pirates.
- 1833 A patent is granted for the first soda fountain.
- 1898 Spain declares war on United States, rejecting an ultimatum to withdraw from Cuba.
- 1905 Birth of Robert Penn Warren, novelist, America’s first poet laureate.
- 1944 The first B-29 arrives in China, over the Hump of the Himalayas.
- 1948 The Berlin airlift begins to relieve the surrounded city.
- 1961 President John Kennedy accepts “sole responsibility” for the failed invasion of Cuba at the Bay of Pigs.
- 1968 Leftist students take over Columbia University in protest over the Vietnam War.
- 1980 A rescue attempt of the U.S. hostages held in Iran fails when a plane collides with a helicopter in the Iranian desert.
- 1981 The IBM Personal Computer is introduced.