Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, April 29, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 90. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 61. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to rise sharply, peaking in the low 90s on Friday before dropping back into the 70s over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1745 Birth of Oliver Ellsworth, third Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1813 Rubber is patented.
- 1852 The first edition of Peter Roget’s Thesaurus is published.
- 1856 Yokut Indians repel a second attack by the ‘Petticoat Rangers,’ a band of civilian Indian fighters at Four Creeks, California.
- 1861 The Maryland House of Delegates votes against seceding from Union.
- 1862 Forts Philip and Jackson surrender to Admiral David Farragut outside New Orleans.
- 1863 Birth of William Randolph Hearst, American newspaper publisher.
- 1899 Birth of Edward Kennedy “Duke” Ellington, renowned jazz composer and musician.
- 1913 Gideon Sundback of Hoboken patents the all-purpose zipper.
- 1918 America’s WWI Ace of Aces, Eddie Rickenbacker, scores his first victory with the help of Captain James Norman Hall.
- 1927 Construction of the Spirit of St. Louis is completed.
- 1975 The U.S. embassy in Vietnam is evacuated as North Vietnamese forces fight their way into Saigon.
- 1983 Harold Washington is sworn in as Chicago’s first black mayor.
- 1992 Four Los Angeles police offices are acquitted of charges stemming from the beating of Rodney King. Rioting ensues.