Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, May 2, 2021:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 69. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 57. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Highs are expected to gradually rise back towards the 80s by midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 France and Spain agree to donate arms to American rebels fighting the British.
- 1863 Stonewall Jackson smashes Joseph Hooker’s flank at Chancellorsville, Virginia.
- 1865 President Andrew Johnson offers a $100,000 reward for the capture of the Confederate President
- 1866 Birth of Jesse Lazear, American physician and researcher of yellow fever.
- 1890 The Territory of Oklahoma is created.
- 1903 Birth of Benjamin Spock, pediatrician, author and activist.
- 1919 The first U.S. air passenger service starts.
- 1923 Lieutenants Oakley Kelly and John Macready take off from New York for the West Coast on what will become the first successful nonstop transcontinental flight.
- 1942 Admiral Chester J. Nimitz, convinced that the Japanese will attack Midway Island, visits the island to review its readiness.
- 1946 Prisoners revolt at California’s Alcatraz prison.
- 1968 The U.S. Army attacks Nhi Ha in South Vietnam and begins a fourteen-day battle to wrestle it away from Vietnamese Communists.
- 1970 Student anti-war protesters at Ohio’s Kent State University burn down the campus ROTC building. The National Guard takes control of campus.