Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, May 4, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy through mid morning, then becoming sunny, with a high near 80. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the morning.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight.
Highs are expected to peak in the low 80s on Wednesday before gradually dropping back into the lower 70s over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1626 American Indians sell Manhattan Island for $24 in cloth and buttons.
- 1776 Rhode Island declares independence from England.
- 1796 Birth of Horace Mann, educator and author.
- 1863 The Battle of Chancellorsville ends when Union Army retreats.
- 1864 Union General Ulysses S. Grant’s forces cross the Rapidan River and meet Robert E. Lee’s Confederate army.
- 1874 Birth of Frank Conrad, electrical engineer and broadcasting pioneer.
- 1884 Birth of Agnes Fay Morgan, American nutritionist and biochemist.
- 1929 Birth of Audrey Hepburn (Edda van Heemstra Hepburn-Ruston), actress, later U.N. special ambassador.
- 1942 The United States begins food rationing.
- 1942 The Battle of the Coral Sea commences.
- 1961 13 civil rights activists, dubbed Freedom Riders, begin a bus trip through the South.
- 1970 Ohio National Guardsmen open fire on student protesters at Kent State University, killing four and wounding nine others.