Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, May 5, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 82. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 59. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to gradually drop back into the lower 70s over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1814 British attack the American forces at Ft. Ontario, Oswego, New York.
- 1830 Birth of John B. Stetson, American hat maker.
- 1861 Birth of Peter Cooper Hewitt, electrical engineer, inventor of the mercury-vapor lamp.
- 1862 Union and Confederate forces clash at the Battle of Williamsburg, part of the Peninsular Campaign.
- 1886 A bomb explodes on the fourth day of a workers’ strike in Chicago.
- 1916 U.S. Marines invade the Dominican Republic.
- 1917 Eugene Jacques Bullard becomes the first African-American aviator when he earns a flying certificate with the French Air Service.
- 1935 American Jesse Owens sets the long jump record.
- 1961 Alan Shepard becomes the first American in space.
- 1965 173rd Airborne Brigade arrives in Bien Hoa-Vung, Vietnam, the first regular U.S. Army unit deployed to that country.
- 1968 U.S. Air Force planes hit Nhi Ha, South Vietnam in support of attacking infantrymen.
- 1987 Congress opens Iran-Contra hearings.
- 2000 The Sun, Earth, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn align – Earth’s moon is also almost in this alignment – leading to Doomsday predictions of massive natural disasters, although such a ‘grand confluence’ occurs about once in every century.