Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, May 16, 2021:
Patchy drizzle with a chance of showers before 11am, then a chance of showers after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
A slight chance of showers before 11pm, then patchy drizzle with a slight chance of showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s for at least the next week, with morning clouds giving way to afternoon sun.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1801 Birth of William Henry Seward, U.S. Secretary of State (1861-1869).
- 1804 Birth of Elizabeth Palmer Peabody, founder of the first U.S. kindergarten.
- 1824 Birth of Edmund Kirby-Smith, Confederate general during the American Civil War.
- 1863 At the Battle of Champion’s Hill, Union General Ulysess S. Grant repulses the Confederates, driving them into Vicksburg.
- 1868 President Andrew Johnson is acquitted during Senate impeachment, by one vote, cast by Edmund G. Ross.
- 1928 The first Academy Awards are held in Hollywood.
- 1960 A Big Four summit in Paris collapses because of the American U-2 spy plane affair.
- 1963 After 22 Earth orbits, Gordon Cooper returns to Earth, ending the last mission of Project Mercury.