Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, May 22, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 70. Southeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 56. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s until early next week, when it will rise into the 80s briefly before dropping back to seasonable levels.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1856 U.S. Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina beats Senator Charles Sumner with a cane for Sumner’s earlier condemnation of slavery, which included an insult to Brooks’ cousin, Senator Andrew Butler.
- 1863 Union General Ulysses S. Grant’s second attack on Vicksburg fails and a siege begins.
- 1868 The “Great Train Robbery” takes place as seven members of the Reno Gang make off with $98,000 in cash from a train’s safe in Indiana.
- 1872 The Amnesty Act restores civil rights to Southerners.
- 1882 The United States formally recognizes Korea.
- 1908 The Wright brothers register their flying machine for a U.S. patent.
- 1928 Birth of T Boone Pickens, oil magnate and financier who developed a reputation as a corporate raider in the 1980s.
- 1930 Birth of Harvey Milk, one of the first openly gay politicians to win public office in the United States, a seat on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977.
- 1967 The children’s program Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood premiers.
- 1985 Baseball player Pete Rose passes Hank Aaron as National League run scoring leader with 2,108.
- 1992 Johnny Carson’s final appearance on The Tonight Show on NBC, after 30 years as the program’s host.
- 2004 An EF4 tornado with a record-setting width of 2.5 miles wipes out Hallam, Nebraska, killing 1 person.
- 2011 An EF5 tornado kills at least 158 people in Joplin, Missouri, the largest death toll from a tornado since record-keeping began in 1950.