Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, May 23, 2021:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 76. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 58. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Highs are expected to rise into the 80s briefly before dropping back to seasonable levels.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1785 Benjamin Franklin announces his invention of bifocals.
- 1788 South Carolina becomes the eighth state to ratify the U.S. Constitution.
- 1820 Birth of James Buchanan Eads, engineer of the Eads Bridge in St. Louis
- 1861 Pro-Union and pro-Confederate forces clash in western Virginia.
- 1862 Confederate General “Stonewall” Jackson takes Front Royal, Virginia.
- 1864 Union General Ulysses Grant attempts to outflank Confederate Robert E. Lee in the Battle of North Anna, Virginia.
- 1900 Civil War hero Sgt. William H. Carney becomes the first African American to receive the Medal of Honor, thirty-seven years after the Battle of Fort Wagner.
- 1934 Gangsters Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow are killed by Texas Rangers.