Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, June 3, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 78. Light south wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 61. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the 70sfor the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1539 Hernando De Soto claims Florida for Spain.
- 1861 Union troops defeat Confederate forces at Philippi, in western Virginia
- 1864 Some 7,000 Union troops are killed within 30 minutes during the Battle of Cold Harbor in Virginia.
- 1808 Birth of Jefferson Davis, President of Confederate States of America.
- 1888 The classic baseball poem “Casey at the Bat,” written by Ernest L. Thayer, is published in the San Francisco Examiner.
- 1904 Birth of Charles R. Drew, American physician, researcher of blood plasma.
- 1926 Birth of Allen Ginsberg, American poet (Howl).
- 1942 Japanese carrier-based planes strafe Dutch Harbor in the Aleutian Islands as a diversion of the attack on Midway Island.
- 1952 A rebellion by North Korean prisoners in the Koje prison camp in South Korea is put down by American troops.
- 1965 Astronaut Edward White becomes the first American to walk in space when he exits the Gemini 4 space capsule.
- 1969 74 American sailors die when the destroyer USS Frank E. Evans was cut in two by an Australian aircraft carrier in the South China Sea.
- 1974 Charles Colson, an aide to President Richard Nixon, pleads guilty to obstruction of justice.