Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, June 9, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 76. Light southwest wind becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 58. West wind 5 to 15 mph becoming east after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are expected to gradually rise, reaching the mid-80s by early in the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1791 Birth of John Howard Payne, American playwright and actor.
- 1861 Mary Ann “Mother” Bickerdyke begins working in Union hospitals.
- 1863 At the Battle of Brandy Station in Virginia, Union and Confederate cavalries clash in the largest cavalry battle of the Civil War.
- 1915 Birth of Les Paul, American guitarist and electric guitar innovator.
- 1916 Birth of Robert S. McNamara, U.S. Secretary of Defense under presidents John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson.
- 1931 Robert H. Goddard patents a rocket-fueled aircraft design.
- 1942 The Japanese high command announces that “The Midway Occupation operations have been temporarily postponed.”
- 1954 At the Army-McCarthy hearings, attorney Joseph Welch asks Senator Joseph McCarthy “Have you no sense of decency?”
- 1959 The first ballistic missile-carrying submarine, the USS George Washington, is launched.
- 1972 American advisor John Paul Vann is killed in a helicopter accident in Vietnam.
- 1986 NASA publishes a report on the Challenger accident.