Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, June 11, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 83. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 60. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to gradually rise, peaking in the upper 80s to low 90s in the middle of the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1769 Birth of Anne Newport Royall, American newspaper reporter.
- 1823 Birth of James L. Kemper, Confederate general during the American Civil War.
- 1861 Union forces under General George B. McClellan repulse a Confederate force at Rich Mountain in western Virginia.
- 1865 Major General Henry W. Halleck finds documents and archives of the Confederate government in Richmond, Virginia. This discovery will lead to the publication of the official war records.
- 1880 Birth of Jeannette Rankin, U.S. Representative from Montana, the first woman in Congress.
- 1895 Charles E. Duryea receives the first U.S. patent granted to an American inventor for a gasoline-driven automobile.
- 1913 Birth of Vince Lombardi, American football coach.
- 1925 Birth of William Styron, American novelist (The Confessions of Nat Turner, Sophie’s Choice).
- 1927 Charles Lindbergh, a captain in the US Army Air Corps Reserve, receives the first Distinguished Flying Cross ever awarded, for his solo trans-Atlantic flight.
- 1930 William Beebe, of the New York Zoological Society, dives to a record-setting depth of 1,426 feet off the coast of Bermuda, in a diving chamber called a bathysphere.
- 1944 U.S. carrier-based planes attack Japanese airfields on Guam , Rota, Saipan and Tinian islands, preparing for the invasion of Saipan.
- 1963 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is arrested in Florida for trying to integrate restaurants.