Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, June 13, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 84. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 64. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Highs are expected to gradually rise, peaking in the upper 80s to low 90s Monday to Wednesday before gradually dropping.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1777 The Marquis de Lafayette arrives in the American colonies to help in their rebellion against Britain.
- 1786 Birth of Winfield Scott, U.S. Army general.
- 1863 Confederate forces on their way to Gettysburg clash with Union troops at the Second Battle of Winchester, Virginia.
- 1894 Birth of Mark Van Doren, American poet, writer and educator.
- 1903 Birth of Harold “Red” Grange, American football player.
- 1920 The U.S. Post Office Department rules that children may not be sent by parcel post.
- 1943 German spies land on Long Island, New York, and are soon captured.
- 1971 The New York Times begins publishing the Pentagon Papers.
- 1979 Sioux Indians are awarded $105 million in compensation for the 1877 U.S. seizure of the Black Hills in South Dakota.
- 1983 Pioneer 10, already in space for 11 years, leaves the solar system.