Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, June 15, 2021:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 94. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 64. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Highs are forecast to drop gradually over the course of the week, with morning clouds returning around the end of the week.
Excessive Heat Watch in effect from June 15, 10:00 AM PDT until June 17, 09:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1607 Colonists in North America complete James Fort in Jamestown.
- 1752 Benjamin Franklin and his son test the relationship between electricity and lightning by flying a kite in a thunder storm.
- 1767 Birth of Rachel Robards Jackson, first lady to President Andrew Jackson.
- 1775 George Washington is named Commander-in-Chief by Congress.
- 1779 American General Anthony Wayne captures Stony Point, New York.
- 1836 Arkansas is admitted into the Union as the 25th state.
- 1846 Great Britain and the United States agree on a joint occupation of Oregon Territory.
- 1849 James K. Polk, the 11th president of the United States, dies.
- 1862 General J.E.B. Stuart completes his “ride around McClellan.”
- 1877 Henry O. Flipper becomes the first African American to graduate from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
- 1898 The U.S. House of representatives approves the annexation of Hawaii.
- 1904 Fire aboard the paddle steamer General Slocum on New York’s East River kills 1,021, mostly German-Americans.
- 1914 Birth of Saul Steinberg, American cartoonist.
- 1916 President Woodrow Wilson signs a bill incorporating the Boy Scouts of America.
- 1920 Three African Americans are lynched in Duluth, Minnesota, by a white mob of 5,000.
- 1922 Birth of Morris “Mo” Udall, U.S. Congressman.
- 1928 Republicans, convening in Kansas City, name Herbert Hoover their candidate for President.
- 1932 Gaston Means is sentenced to 15 years for fraud in the Lindbergh baby kidnapping.
- 1944 U.S. Marines begin the invasion of Saipan in the Pacific.