Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, June 18, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 87. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to drop gradually over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1579 Sir Francis Drake claims San Francisco Bay for England.
- 1742 Birth of William Hooper, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1775 The British take Bunker Hill outside of Boston, after a costly battle.
- 1856 The Republican Party opens its first national convention in Philadelphia.
- 1861 President Abraham Lincoln witnesses Dr. Thaddeus Lowe demonstrate the use of a hot-air balloon.
- 1863 On the way to Gettysburg, Union and Confederate forces skirmish at Point of Rocks, Maryland.
- 1871 Birth of James Weldon Johnson, African-American poet and novelist (The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man).
- 1872 George M. Hoover begins selling whiskey in Dodge City, Kansas–a town which had previously been “dry.”
- 1876 General George Crook’s command is attacked and bested on the Rosebud River by 1,500 Sioux and Cheyenne under the leadership of Crazy Horse.
- 1882 Birth of Igor Stravinsky, Russian-born U.S. composer (The Rite of Spring, The Firebird).
- 1913 U.S. Marines set sail from San Diego to protect American interests in Mexico.
- 1930 The Smoot-Hawley Tariff Bill becomes law, placing the highest tariff on imports to the United States.
- 1932 The U.S. Senate defeats the Bonus Bill as 10,000 veterans mass around the Capitol.
- 1942 Yank, a weekly magazine for the U.S. armed services, begins publication.
- 1950 Surgeon Richard Lawler performs the first kidney transplant operation in Chicago.
- 1963 The U.S. Supreme Court bans the required reading of the Lord’s prayer and Bible in public schools.
- 1965 27 B-52s hit Viet Cong outposts, but lose two planes in South Vietnam.
- 1972 Five men are arrested for burglarizing Democratic Party headquarters at the Watergate complex in Washington, D.C.
- 1994 Millions of Americans watch former football player O.J. Simpson–facing murder charges–drive his Ford Bronco through Los Angeles, followed by police.