Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, June 19, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 84. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 67. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to drop gradually over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1778 General George Washington’s troops finally leave Valley Forge after a winter of training.
- 1846 The New York Knickerbocker Club plays the New York Club in the first baseball game at Elysian Field, Hoboken, New Jersey.
- 1861 Virginians, in what will soon be West Virginia, elect Francis Pierpont as their provisional governor.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln outlines his Emancipation Proclamation. News of the document reaches the South.
- 1864 The USS Kearsarge sinks the CSS Alabama off of Cherbourg, France.
- 1885 The Statue of Liberty arrives in New York City from France.
- 1897 Birth of Moe Howard, comic actor, one of the Three Stooges.
- 1903 Birth of Henry Louis Gehrig, professional baseball player
- 1934 The National Archives and Records Administration is established.
- 1942 Prime Minister Winston Churchill arrives in Washington D.C. to discuss the invasion of North Africa with President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1944 U.S. Navy carrier-based planes shatter the remaining Japanese carrier forces in the Battle of the Marianas.
- 1951 President Harry S. Truman signs the Universal Military Training and Service Act, which extends Selective Service until July 1, 1955 and lowers the draft age to 18.
- 1958 Nine entertainers refuse to answer a congressional committee’s questions on communism.
- 1968 Over 50,000 people march on Washington, D.C. to support the Poor People’s Campaign.
- 1973 The Case-Church Amendment prevents further U.S. involvement in Southeast Asia.
- 1987 The U.S. Supreme Court voids the Louisiana law requiring schools to teach creationism.
- 1995 The Richmond Virginia Planning Commission approves plans to place a memorial statue of tennis professional Arthur Ashe.