Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, June 20, 2021:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 83. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 63. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to remain fairly level in the upper 70s to low 80s until the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1793 Eli Whitney applies for a cotton gin patent.
- 1858 Birth of Charles Chesnutt, African-American novelist.
- 1863 President Abraham Lincoln admits West Virginia into the Union as the 35th state.
- 1898 On the way to the Philippines to fight the Spanish, the U.S. Navy seizes the island of Guam.
- 1901 Charlotte M. Manye of South Africa becomes the first native African to graduate from an American University.
- 1920 Race riots in Chicago, Illinois leave two dead and many wounded.
- 1924 Birth of Audie Murphy, American soldier during World War II, author and actor.
- 1941 The U.S. Army Air Force is established, replacing the Army Air Corps.
- 1955 The AFL and CIO agree to combine names for a merged group.
- 1963 The United States and the Soviet Union agree to establish a hot line between Washington and Moscow.
- 1964 General William Westmoreland succeeds General Paul Harkins as head of the U.S. forces in Vietnam.
- 1967 Boxing champion Muhammad Ali is convicted of refusing induction into the American armed services.
- 1972 President Richard Nixon names General Creighton Abrams as Chief of Staff of the United States Army.